Although we have an open door policy and parents are always welcomed, throughout the year, The Cottages offers many opportunities for parents to be involved. Depending on the time and commitment you’re able to give, here are some ways in which our parents help to make our school so great!
- Room Parents
- Cutting and Coloring at home
- Assisting with classroom activities such as reading a story aloud, overseeing an art project, giving a classroom presentation about your career, culture, or special interest, etc.
- Attend events such as our holiday parties and open house
- Assist with our fundraising efforts
- School coordinator for programs like Labels for Education or Cartridges for Kids
- Participate in special interest committees such as the Graduation committee or the Green Team parent committee
Private/Protected Shutterfly Website
To help keep our families abreast of the latest happenings at The Cottages, we utilize a private, password protected website through Shutterfly. Here, you’ll be able to view tons of pictures and videos throughout the year. Not only will you get an inside look of your child’s day in their cottage, but you will also be able to see what other cottages are doing as well. On the “Home” page you’ll find the latest pictures and videos, a message board, access to communicate with other site members, and links to parenting, child and eco-friendly sites. On the “Calendar and Forms” page you’ll find documents such as our calendar of events for the year, parent handbook, snack and lunch menus, medication forms, etc. The monthly newsletters can always be found on the “Newsletters” page and you may also want to check out the “Family Forum” page for any discussions or polls. If you’re looking to connect with other families, you can find their contact information on the “Cottage Families Contact Lists” page. Supporting each other and our community is made easy by using the companies found on our “Professional Networks” page which have all been listed by Cottage families. And of course, if you’re looking for more information on eco-friendly topics, you’ll want to check out our “Going GREEN” page. We’re sure you’ll love this site as much as we do!
Helping Hands Community Efforts
The Cottages believes in giving back to the community! And we couldn’t do it without the help of our generous families. Here are some of our on-going and past community service projects.
- St. Jude’s Trike-a-thon (St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital)
- Jump Rope for Heart (American Heart Association)
- Toys for Tots
- Mayor’s Feed the Hungry and All Faith’s Food Bank (Canned food drives)
- Giving Tree (Sponsoring local families for the holidays)
- Book Drive for Head Start
- Mother’s Helping Mother’s
- Raising funds for victims affected by the tsunami in Haiti
Parents Night Out
Four times a year, The Cottages offers Parents Night Out for our families. The cost is $25 per child and includes a pizza dinner, crafts and loads of fun! The events are scheduled in October, December, February and April each year. Please note, in December we offer Parents Day Out to allow families to take care of any last minute holiday shopping!
Optional Lunch Program
Research strongly shows that students learn better, are stronger physically and emotionally, have more confidence and concentrate more easily with a balanced and nutritional meal. This is why we have chosen Nutrition Kitchen as our a la carte lunch program provider. They have expertly developed a program of the highest quality, freshest and nutritionally sound lunches and they’re affordable. They’re menu items are made from whole, natural and real ingredients-skillfully made from scratch everyday by a nationally recognized Chef! Meals are prepared using organic produce and meats and are always free from added hormones, pesticides, preservatives, dyes, chemicals or unnecessary salt and sugar. Furthermore, they exceed the licensing standards set by the USDA for nutrition, as well as, the policies set by the DCFS for food service to children’s schools. For more information, they can be reached at (941) 928-7619 or you can learn more by visiting their website at www.wepowerkids.com.